I am in the midst of raising a southern girl. This is a challenging and unique task. Believe it or not a true southern girl is quite multi-faceted and means many different things to many different people. Here are a few of the most important key points to raising a southern girl:
1. Sweet tea, a southern girl must have an appreciation for sweet tea. No my one year old does not drink tea yet, but she can sense it is being poured from across the house and comes running. Just in case I change my mind. What will make your southern girl stand out will be if she can make her own sweet tea.
2. Football. Specifically SEC college football. Not only does my daughter dress in an LSU cheerleader outfit every game day. She raises her arms and says GO! anytime she sees football on TV. There are lots of other types of football (pro, ACC, Pac -10) But they are weak attempts to be the SEC. Experiencing a rivalry SEC football game is something everyone must do in life. Add it to your bucket list.
3. Proper Southern food- Grits, Fried chicken, fried pickles, biscuits, etc. Not only do you need to teach your southern girl to eat these foods, but she must be able to cook them. Even if they are one and too young to cook they can pull up a chair and watch you cook so a true appreciation of cooking soaks in. I am not talking “cooking” from a box or the freezer. Cooking everyday meals from scratch is a dying art. Being able to cook and cook well will really make your girl stand out from the crowd when it comes to suitors.
4. four wheelers, tractors, outdoorsmen activity- yes you are raising a girl, but a southern girl can hang tough with the boys in all they do. This is very key to a true southern woman and an imposter. A southern girl isn’t afraid of a little dirt.
5. Family- The most important thing to a southern girl is her family. No matter how crazy they can be. Family comes first. Unless of course they betray you in an unforgivable way. Naturally.
6. Flirting- A southern girl with the wink of an eye, or a shrug of the shoulder can make a man weak at the knees. Sometimes this can be taught, sometimes it comes naturally, and sometimes you just need to pin your hopes on her being really smart.
According the the Urban Dictionary:
Southern Girl : the best kind of girls around. always cute and propper, never ever seen in public without there pearls, lacostes, polos, designer jeans, michael stars, or sunglasses w/ croakies. usually seen cruising around in there range rovers/land rovers and blasting there beach music. southern girls know how to party and can drink a beer better than any other kind of girl. they are alot of fun and always cute and preppy. they are extremely adorable fun lovin girls from there perfectly cut hair down to there peticured toes