I sold my first cake!
I love to bake. Even in high school I can remember practicing my recipes and bringing them to school for all my friends to eat. Now, I bake and bring it to my students, give it to my wife’s co-workers, or to my family. I would keep them at home and eat them, but I don’t really like sweets. Yes, just another thing I am contrary about.
I sold a mountain dew cake. It is a lemon/lime cake that is very rich and creamy. The recipe was given to me by my good friend Jessie Brown. She has graciously given me permission to share it with you!
Mountain Dew Cake:
I cup of butter
2 cups of sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup of mountain dew
1/4 cup of lemon and lime juice
zest from 1 lemon and 2 limes ( separate into 2 piles, one for buttercream)
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Beat Butter on medium for 30 seconds
2. Add sugar and lemon, lime zest. Beat on medium- high until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, Scrape sides of bowl in between additions.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add to mixer bowl. Turn on low for 5 seconds.
5. Add the mountain dew, lemon/lime juice, and lemon extract.
6 Bake for 20-25 min ( 18-20 for cupcakes)
Mountain Dew Butter Cream:
1 cup butter
4-5 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons mountain dew
Juices from half of 1 lemon and half of 1 lime
Lemon and Lime Zest
1 teaspoon of lemon extract
neon green food coloring
1. sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment
2. Beat butter until creamy
3. Add half of the sugar
4. Add the mountain dew, zest, and lemon extract
5. Add food coloring
6. Gradually add remaining sugar